As the Scout’s say….be prepared!
So you’ve done the hard part and managed to secure a media interview. What next?
Preparation is everything when it comes to press interviews. At Warwickshire-based specialist PR agency Red Marlin, we’ve helped dozens of automotive clients prepare for their time in the spotlight so before your next 15 minutes of fame, take a look at our interview tips to help you prepare and make the most of the opportunity.
Before to the interview:
- Research the publication, its audience, the article and the interviewer
- Be clear about your objective
- Have answers prepared both for questions you and wouldn’t like to be asked
- Develop more than one message
During the interview:
- Have a positive attitude – offer solutions
- Have evidence to support your answers
- Be concise
- Don’t say anything you don’t want published – nothing is off the record
- Don’t guess – if you don’t know the answer say so, refer to a colleague or offer to go back with the information
After the interview:
- Avoid asking to see the article before publication as the journalist will feel you’re questioning their integrity
- Tell the journalist if you like what’s been written as they will be more likely to deal with you again
- If you don’t like what’s been written then don’t overreact. Concentrate on ways of ensuring the right message is delivered next time
If you’d like a little more advice before your next moment of fame, then why not give us a call on 01926 333245, email email@example.com or send a Tweet to @RedMarlinUK. We’d be happy to help!